Wayne Larimore - his Bloggin' Weighs

Post Categories

Blogs I Read

Developers Resources

Miscellaneous

Money Matters

Sharepoint Resources

I was prepping a virtual environment within VMWare Workstation 6.5 (EZInstall approach) for Microsoft SharePoint 2010.  I encountered the following challenge when booting from a Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 ISO:

"The unattend answer file contains an invalid product key..."

To get rid of this show-stopper I simply disabled the floppy drive connection it had created.  It worked like a charm.

Print | posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:43 PM | Filed Under [ .NET General Sharepoint ]

Feedback

# re: "The unattend answer file contains an invalid product key" VMWare Windows Server 2008 Install

I just want to let you know you saved me such a headache. I could not find out what was wrong for the life of me. Thanks. You've got a free beer coming if we ever meet!
7/15/2010 3:52 AM | Cephus

Thank you!!! Was stuck on this all night - such a simple solution and it worked perfectly! You're a lifesaver :)
7/22/2010 11:42 AM | Andi

You are AWESOME for posting this.
Thank you so much. If only google had a way of making this the first link that shows up on the search results :)

you seriously saved me lots of time, and probably delays at work, which can lead to embarassments and then who knows right?!

so THANK YOU SO MUCH!
8/3/2010 2:03 PM | Ahsan

Thanks! it really works! and now I don't push our admins for problem solving ^.^
11/9/2010 1:27 PM | google worm

very usefull indeed
thankyou very much
11/11/2010 2:58 PM | Gianluca

You ROCK! Thanks! Thanks GOOGLE too ;)
1/28/2011 10:52 AM | Me

Thanks you very good sharing
2/15/2011 11:35 PM | ssk hizmet dökümü

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers
5/11/2011 1:34 PM | steve

Simply Amazing!!!! It did the trick for me...
5/17/2011 7:23 PM | Andy

Thanks! This saved so much hassle. :)
7/3/2011 4:28 PM | kwallen

Wow, I was stuck and this did it. THANK YOU!
7/30/2011 12:09 PM | Mandelbaum

re"The unattend answer file contains an invalid product key" VMWare Windows Server 2008 Install,

Thank you that worked for me also on install 2008 R2 to vmware workstation 7.

Thanks, I owe you a 2 beers....
8/17/2011 5:04 AM | mcitparamos

Many thanks, saved me lots of time!
9/6/2011 8:10 PM | Olli

AMAZING!!! This just made me let go of the fistful of hair I was preparing to rip out of my head!
9/25/2011 1:47 AM | Kevin Taylor

Thanks. Your trick fixed it.
10/10/2011 8:32 AM | Joey

Thank you very much for sharing this!!! I tried to use different windows license code, tried to remove and recreate the image... Your tip just worked like a charm :)
1/8/2012 3:25 PM | Serene Tong

This works but is completely bizarre. Of course one associates floppy drive and product key it is so obvious. Thanks to you and google.
1/19/2012 12:30 PM | Paul

Thanks! Rhetorical question... how did you figure this out?
I simply turned off the Floppy's Connected and 'Connect at power on' check boxes.
You have saved me an undetermined amount of investigation time.

Fred
1/25/2012 12:20 AM | Fred

You are so GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2/8/2012 8:44 PM | Yang LU

Hallelujah!!!!!! Wasted 2hrs..... Should have ...should have google this issue after the nth tries with 5 different license keys.

2/15/2012 12:32 PM | ken

Awasome Fanastic..You rock
4/1/2012 2:48 AM | Raj

Thanks a ton!!! That's really help me a lot. I am stuck here a long time and have no idea why this error occurs. You are smart to find this solution, very easy and work perfect.
4/23/2012 11:51 PM | wendel

Thanks for posting this, it helps a lot
5/3/2012 5:46 PM | Manoj R

Hey guys, really useful fix to know, but my question is WHY does the floppy drive have involvement with the unattended answer file?

If you know then that would be great, so that I have an understanding of it.

Thanks!
5/25/2012 4:11 PM | Luca

than u so much it still work incredible
5/27/2012 8:25 AM | bolor

Thanks for this!!! I used Parallels and the issue is the same.
6/5/2012 10:05 AM | Renato Salvaleon

hope it works ty
6/11/2012 10:37 PM | Kelzagan

Wow
thanks mate. Thanks for ur sharing.
7/29/2012 1:48 PM | Ralph

SO...how do I "disable the floppy drive connection"

I'm getting this while installing Windows 7 on a parallels on a mac...
9/12/2012 4:11 AM | Ben

Thanks very much for posting solution.. it works for me too!!!
10/5/2012 3:26 AM | Hitesh

This work around also works for Windows 8 install.
10/28/2012 8:54 AM | Robert

Same problem Installing windows 8 .... Worked a treat.. I changed the boot method from floppy to hard disk.. Many Thanks
10/28/2012 8:16 PM | Jon

It works. Cheers bruv.
10/30/2012 11:04 PM | Danny

Thanks!!! This works !!!
11/26/2012 12:17 PM | Jeet

simply great, I save a lot of time..... thanks
12/2/2012 4:36 PM | nicbua

Wanted to add to the thank you list. :)
12/27/2012 5:38 PM | Jim Homer

Thanks a lot.
4/1/2013 7:28 AM | vd

Very thanks .... David
6/18/2013 8:25 AM | dmikulik

This completely saved my butt, after having banged my head against the wall for an entire day (and after re-downloading the .ISO file TWICE -DUH!)

Thanks a million,

-->S.
7/8/2013 10:24 PM | Symon

Thanks, It works for me!
7/30/2013 12:41 AM | Seyed Morteza

Works for server 2012 too, thank you so much!!
11/11/2013 1:34 AM | J

thanks!
12/19/2013 11:41 AM | Avi

Worked for me
3/7/2014 10:23 AM | Chuckles

The disconnect floppy did not work for me. I tried several times to install Window Server 2008 still getting invalid product key I have used this key before when installing a previous 2008 server machine. Help any more suggestions?
3/27/2014 9:51 PM | Tayseer